sábado, 30 de enero de 2016

My biggest acomplishment

(Well, not my biggest, but just something I feel proud about...)
When you work in the Third World for a public institution only with a contract which can be ended for any reason, you feel vulnerable. The feeling is stronger when a new boss takes on. A situation like this occurred to me in the year 2000.
The new boss removed me from the financial section of Indigenous Affairs Office to the Department of Culture. I was no disappointed because I have been interested in Culture since I was in college. All of a suden I was ordered to travel and visit the Tsa`chila Indigenous people in order to evaluate their challenges and come back with an agreed proposal for cooperation.
If I had told my boss that I was not able to accomplish the task, he would have asked for my resignation. Moreover, I was afraid of conducting a meeting with the Tsa`chila chiefs.
So I accepted the challenge. I remembered I received training about ZOPP, a method to solve problems in a participatory way. I rushed home, prepared materials like cardboard, markers, masking tape, etc. Then I remember reviewing my notes during the 3 hours that the trip lasted in a very hot bus.
I found out the meeting was with 13 leaders from different villages. I took courage and managed the meeting in a friendly way. The chiefs were able to watch their requests written down and pinned to the billboard in a ordered way, from causes to effects, classified by patterns. Then we turned the problems into solutions. They were happy and desired to go back to the villages ans wait for results.
I had to work during the weekend producing something readable and coherent for my superior.
In the next Monday meeting I was so nervous about his reaction to my work. But, nothing to be afraid of, he sent me a congratulation letter that I have kept until now. I acquired my boss confidence by demonstrating my skills.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario